We had 3 very big coyotes caught on our security cameras this morning at 6:10AM. But we’ve also seen them during the bright light of day and at all times during the night.
We’ve run into them before when walking our dogs in our yard. Yelling at them doesn’t work. They just turn and square off with you. We’ve tried throwing some rocks at them to scare them and that didn’t work either.
What worked was we wear a loud whistle around our neck and when we see them, we blow it and it scares them away.
1. Make sure to hook the leash on a harness that allows you to pull them up quickly and safely by it (vs a collar that can slip of easily).
2. I even have a tight bungie key chain looped around the leash handle and around my wrist. When coyotes jump out of no where, people usually jump and the leash drops and they can run off with your baby! The bungie ensures you stay connected to your baby’s leash.
3. Fences DO NOT protect your furry kids. Coyotes can jump over 12 foot fences!
4. Keep them close by you too, but coyotes have taken pets right beside their person without these other safeguards.
5. Since they often hunt in packs too, even some larger dogs alone are not safe outside. Especially older or sick babies.